Prologue
Hi there, and welcome to Paws Button!
My name is Tr1s and I like games.
I REALLY like games.
I also occasionally think some things about the games that I am playing. The problem I have had with this is that I tend to store these fragments on a random notepad app on my phone. I never bother to take the time to review them and turn them into coherent opinions. As the list of notes has grown over the last few months I have become increasingly fed up with myself and have now decided to do something about it. That something is Paws Button, a place where I can put down the controller and really spend time thinking about what it is that made me love or loathe a game.
I don't intend for this to be a review site - my goal isn't really to tell you whether or not a game is worth your time. Instead, I want it to be a place where I can discuss some of the things that have made a particular game stand out to me, for better or worse. These could be aspects of the story that I particularly liked, or a mechanic that I thought was really clever, or even a bit of design that I came to despise. This achieves two things: firstly, it frees me from having to spend time on a broad overview of a game. I don't need to spend time discussing gameplay if all I want to talk about is story, for instance. Secondly, it forces me to delve deeper into expressing why the core aspect I have chosen to focus on did, or did not, work for me. This is particularly nice because it offers a chance for me to learn something about my own preferences in games and to understand why games that are ostensibly similar can provide such a radically different experience for me. It is a chance to learn something new, and I love learning.
If that sounds appealing to you then I hope you enjoy what follows. While I am primarily writing for myself, I think that writing as if it is for an audience (real, or more likely imaginary) will be a good way to force me to present my ideas clearly and cogently. Who knows? Maybe that will encourage some people to read and discuss my posts further. That'd be really cool, but even if you decide not to get involved I hope that you find the discussions themselves insightful.
Catch you next time I hit paws :3
Tr1s.
Comments
Post a Comment